Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Hydrangeas



6 x 6 oil on panel

Last week at my workshop I was pretty overwhelmed with dealing with the weather and also trying to learn as much as I possibly could. But now, back home, it's starting to click. Too bad it starting to make sense in the middle of the night. I could have used some sleep! But I kept dreaming about repainting the hydrangeas from Door County. I'm not even that big on painting flowers, but these just kept calling me. So this morning I knew that this is what I had to do and this painting came together pretty quickly.

I cropped the composition quite a bit (which is what Randy was suggesting from the beginning) and used my smaller panels and fuller palette which was more comfortable for me. It definitely helped that I had sketched and painted this already from life! I'm pretty happy with this. I might go back into it when it's completely dry... but then again, I might not.

4 comments:

  1. I love the shading and abundance of flowers. Lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey wow, this is great! not normally your thing but definitely your style. love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, I love how you broke this down to just simple shapes, and color temperatures -- warm/ cool greens and whites. You say painting flowers is not your "thing", but you nailed this one. Your workshop with Randy has had a positive effect on your work.

    Oh, I also liked "The Bean" -- great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must say Cathy,this has got to be my favourite hydrangea painting!! I love that the shapes are so basic and yet perfectly readable as one of my favourite flowers.A definite lesson for me not to get bogged down in detail.

    ReplyDelete