Randy Sexton Workshop Day 1

It's been blazing hot here in Door County. Painting out in this heat this afternoon was a challenge in more ways than one! A true test for me, and I'm not sure I succeeded in a graceful way. But I'm cooling off now so I thought I would post a few things.

After our initial introductions and a small talk, Randy sent us out to sketch. We decided to stay close to the school because of the heat. Here is a photo of his first preliminary sketch. He had us do at least 3 or 4.


Here is a photo of his demo. He did not consider this done yet, but I didn't get a photo of it after he worked on it some more.

He premixes piles of his main colors in order to compare the value and temperature of them while still on his palette. I don't usually do this but I gave it a try and liked it. It made me slow down and think more before filling my canvas. I do like this process. 

He decides on his darkest dark, lightest light, coolest color and warmest color. Then develops his palette around that.

This is the spot I decided to paint. I was in shade when I started... but in full sun by the time I was done. 

And this is a bad photo of my results after 1 1/2 hours. I took this photo out on our balcony and there is a shadow on the left side and bottom of it. I'll try to get a better photo later. I'm not unhappy with it, but deciding on the composition is always tricky. 

 It's supposed to be cooler tomorrow, but maybe rain. We are headed to the harbor. I'll post if I have time.


No comments:

Post a Comment