Portrait #1 - Sienna - SOLD

6 x 6 oil on panel
SOLD

This is my first portrait for this project! I chose this one because of the strong intense lighting and bright colors. I really love the photos with sun on the face. This photo was a little blown out, but still very fun because the light pattern is so clear. I'm guessing the first thing Sienna will say when she sees this is "Where are my sprinkles?"! Painting each one of those dots and it's shadow didn't appeal to me. So this ice cream cone is sprinkle-less today!

I am surprised how hard it is for me to post the photo along with the painting. I said I would  post both, and I think it's interesting to do that, so I am. But when it came to ME doing it, I realized I need to get over painting exact replicas. I can't tell you how many times I went back into the painting to tweak just because seeing it side-by-side with the photo shows all the slight differences. But I found that my continuing to tweak starts to make my quick impression stiff. So I think what I'm really looking for is the essence of the person. 

I know it has been a long time since I have posted. I hope someone is still out there. I painted a few portraits ahead so that I could post on those days when I have to do things for mom. I've also been tying up some other loose ends so that I can focus on portraits for a month. Now it's full steam ahead! I'm going to try to get 4 to 5 done a week. 




6 comments:

  1. I think she looks great! And now I want an ice cream cone w/ sprinkles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great start!! This is going to be a fantastic series. I love her little hand and her cute nose. Well done, Cathy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's very nice, your serie is promising!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy, Congratulations on your first of the series! You really captured her. I love how you included the ice cream cone. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Crym, Linda, Sylviane, and Linda! So glad you stopped by to check it out. I can see my painting loosening up a bit as I go. The first few still feel like I'm trying too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks wonderful...such a great expression! I agree with capturing the essence of the portrait and not nit picking about every little thing. I always want to create and add my energy to the piece...not just copy the picture. I love it...can't wait to see the next one!!!

    ReplyDelete