Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Portrait Project



I do love painting portraits and I want to get better at them. So in March, I’m starting a challenge for myself and I’m calling it “The Portrait Project”

But I need your help! 

Would you be willing to send me a photo of yourself, your husband, wife, friend, child or pet that I could paint from? The number of paintings I’ll do would be dependent on how many photos I get.

Send me as many photos as you like. I will be weeding through these to pick what I think are the best to paint from. So just because you send one in does not guarantee I will use it. Send in a few. I'll continue to collect photos until I have at least 25 that I think will work for this project. I would love to paint even more if I have time and images. 


Here are the details:
  • Please email your digital photos to me, cathy(at)activecore(dot)org
  • By sending me photo(s) you grant me permission to paint from these images and also to post your  photo along with the photo of the painting, on my blog and website.
  • This photo should have been taken by you. No professional photography please.
  • Photos taken outside in strong light are important. A photo that has good sun and shade on a face has a better chance of being chosen. The same goes for a pet.
  • Photos taken with a flash are usually not as good, but could sometimes work.
  • Unusual perspective and/or angles are really good. Smiling directly at the camera isn’t always the most interesting shot.
  •  I reserve the right to crop these photos in creative ways for artistic effect.
  • I need fairly high-resolution images so that I can crop and create a more intimate moment.
  • Don't be surprised if I use unusual colors in skin tones or hair. I LOVE color!
  •  All paintings will be done in oil on a 6x6 panel. I will sell them all for $75 on my Daily Paintworks gallery.
There is no obligation to purchase the painting. This is not a commission.



8 comments:

  1. I'm so excited about this project! I'm digging through photos this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic!!! This is going to be a great project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy, I am so looking forward to your new project. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! I can't wait to see them. I will be sending some photos to you for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am thrilled to follow your portrait project. This sounds so exciting. I am doing jungle paintings these days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the interest! I've been getting some good photos. But I'm still accepting more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such an exciting project; I am looking forward to seeing what you paint.

    ReplyDelete