Thursday, March 7, 2013

Portrait #10 - Chris

6 x 6 oil on panel

Chris is Ryker's dad. I have more photos of him playing guitar which I hope to paint from. I think those could be a lot of fun to do. But for this portrait I cropped it close and focused on the light/shadow patterns on his face. He likes to write, record, and play his own music in his spare time. You can hear his recordings at www.iamspartachris.com. He will be posting a lot of new work on his site later this month.

I had a lot of fun with the spiky hair thing he has going! And working out how to paint that stubbly beard was interesting. Overall I'm very happy with this one. I really like the warm glow he had under his brows and nose. Those are always  my favorite spots.

7 comments:

  1. What great modeling of the skin tones and nice treatment of the beard, and hair! I think your idea to use photos that people send you is such a great idea because you have to try things that might not ordinarily try. Great painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy. Yes, this really has been a challenge. An I see my process evolving.

      Delete
  2. I really like the skin tones in this one too...and the hair..what fun! love this challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria!
      I am still enjoying painting these portraits. 3 more weeks to go!

      Delete
  3. Wow! Cathy..very impressive! perfect skin tones and great expression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Hilda! I didn't struggle as much with the skin colors on this one. Maybe it's getting easier! Is that possible? ha!

      Delete
  4. Great portrait. I love the skin tones and the likeness is excellent.

    ReplyDelete