Monday, March 11, 2013

Portrait #12 - Hugo

6 x 6 oil on panel

Hugo has such soulful eyes! I just love how they droop a bit at the outer edge. This is Avani's little brother who I've also painted before in sunglasses. But I think it is a mistake to ever avoid painting his eyes again. 

There wasn't a lot of strong light on his face so I mixed up samples of my colors and values ahead in order to make sure I could model his face convincingly and not leave it flat looking like some photos make it. His hair was a lot of fun to do. I kept this painting a little looser than some of the others. I'm not sure I nailed the placement of everything, but overall I'm pretty happy with how this turned out. 



3 comments:

  1. I recognized him immediately! Great painting. Love the hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect likeness!!! Love this portrait, Cathy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Crymson and Hilda! I guess I caught the Hugo "Look"!

    ReplyDelete