Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Portrait #19 - Ryker Again

6 x 6 oil on panel

So as I near my last week of portraits I'm starting to learn some lessons. One is that I'm spending way to much time on these little paintings. So with that in mind, the next few will be kept to 3 hours max as I try to simplify faster and use larger brushes. I might not get everything perfect but I think it will make better more interesting paintings. I'm also not mixing up enough paint. I need to load more paint on my palette and keep things loose. I did a bit better on Ryker Again above. I really like adding the warm and cool tones. Trying to capture how he holds his mouth was very fun. I got close. I didn't put as much time into the hair as I would have... but that is okay. That isn't what was important in this small capture. 

7 comments:

  1. I love the lightness in this painting. It seems most of the one's of R at least tend to go dark or bright in pallette. This is a nice change.

    and I think the 3hr time set is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! I never noticed that. I think he looks older here too. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for sharing with us what you are learning. It's really fun to watch your process (and your progress). You are putting so much into this challenge and doing fantastic. I really love how you did the reflections in the sunglasses in this one. It must be so fun to see the expressions come to life, as in this one.

      Delete
    3. Hi Meredith! It's funny it took three weeks before I started to feel the lessons sinking in. A longer challenge would really make a difference if I had the endurance.

      Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. I think the hair is perfect. It's just the right tone and the loose detail brings you back to the face. It's really an incredible portrait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cat! I'm glad you to hear you think the hair looks okay. I was a bit worried about that. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I like the softness of this one, Cathy... and the reflections in the sunglasses are amazing!

    ReplyDelete