Monday, March 4, 2013

Portrait #7 - Avani - SOLD

6 x 6 oil on panel
SOLD

Avani Moon is always so much fun to paint. I've painted her before. All her personality is bursting out in every photo. I wonder what she is so proud of here. This looks like a girl I would like to know better!

All this shadow on her face gave me so much trouble!! I fell in love with this photo and tried and tried to make the painting perfect like the photo. I think I am much better off if I don't fall in love with photo and instead wait to fall in love with the painting. There is just more freedom in that. I'm thinking of putting this one on my list of paintings to redo on a bigger scale.

7 comments:

  1. I love you shadows, especially on her neck. Did you paint on purpose a darker tone , for the skin and the strap of the dress (dark pink) or is my computer screen?
    A lovely and very successful portrait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sylviane! I really struggled with the shadows on this one. They might have gone too dark.

      Delete
  2. Sorry, I mean your shadows...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks to me like you took the photo and made it "yours." I see your own look, your own style in the painting. Maybe it's the color choices. Your portraits are so alive, and the shadows look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meredith! I'm glad to know I'm developing a style. I do like a purple shadow!

      Delete
  4. Cathy, I like your idea about creating a painting you love, and worrying less about painting perfectly from a photo you love. Some artists put the phto aside after a certain point and continue painting. Although, with a portrait, this may be more difficult. Your painting turned out great... you're on a roll!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful portrait, Cathy!!! Beautiful work!!!!

    ReplyDelete