Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Portrait #9 - Elsie - SOLD

6 x 6 oil on panel
SOLD

Elsie has the rosiest cheeks! I think maybe she is cold but having too much fun to go inside! This is artist Cindy McDonough's young daughter. You can check out her blog and all her wonderful paintings by clicking her name. Cindy was another one of the many artists that did Leslie Saeta's 30 in 30. She does some amazing figures and portraits. 

This was such a great photo! I was tempted to keep the snowman in because I really liked the shapes it created. But the panels are only 6 x 6 and I didn't want to cram too much in. So I cropped to the rosie face. This is the first knit hat I've painted... so simplifying that was interesting. I'm really learning a lot. My biggest challenge is still knowing when to stop an leave things alone. 


9 comments:

  1. Hard to guess which one is the photo and which is the painting, absolutely perfect !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you kind comment Jane! I guess I focus on what I think see as off a bit.

      Delete
  2. I am wow'd everytime I stop by here and catch up on your most recent portraits. They are all just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meredith! Thanks for stopping and for your comment!

      Delete
  3. Cathy, this is a fantastic portrait. You don't have to add the snowman...her expression almost tells a story! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Hilda and Susan! It was amazing how much red I used in her face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I love the colors and you definitely captured her because when I showed her (she's 2) and asked "Who's this?" she said "It's Elsie!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she's only two? I don't know why I thought she was a bit older. I probably made her look a little older. I glad she recognized herself. That is the best critique!

      Delete