Monday, May 6, 2013

Beach Combing - SOLD

6 x 6 oil on panel
SOLD

This little girl looks like she has a sharp eye out for.... something! 

What a busy weekend I had. We drove an hour south to Elmhurst to check out the Art In The Park that is going on this weekend. I was hoping it would be a good show to try for next year. It would be nice to have something in the Spring. We had the perfect weather too! All the threats of storms didn't pan out. We got lucky! The show was pretty good. There were a lot of empty spaces. I'm not sure if they didn't sell them all, or if a lot of people believed the forecast for rainy weather. I'm putting it on my "good possibilities" for next year list. ha!

After looking at everyone's displays at the show, I came home inspired to set mine up again. It didn't take as long this time. And I didn't have rest as often. So I see improvements there. 

I took a few photos. Here's one below. It's not complete yet and I will have a lot more paintings hanging once they are ready. I have a sign coming that will hang inside the space. But this is basically it. I did want to keep things simple because hauling this stuff is a lot for me. And simple it is! Things I still need to do are:

1) Order fabric covers for my grid walls. I thought it would be fine without them for at least the first show. But now I don't think so. I'm going to try to put a rush order in. I'm going with pearl gray.
2) The tables need work! I'll need to make table covers. I just used some old table cloths for this photo. The fabric needs to come to the ground. Wish I had some better creative ideas on that. I also need to create some height on areas of the table top. I have no ideas for that right now. The tables will be full of unframed paintings on easels. I have a quite a few. This was just a sampling.
3) I need to frame more paintings. I still have some drying and waiting to be varnished. I don't want to frame too many too early because basically this is my inventory. I'm selling these same paintings unframed on DPW. I'm using mostly floater frames and I can't just pop those on and off. This part could be a bit tricky as I get closer to the time of my shows. Ideally I would have different inventory. But that isn't the case at this time. How do other people do this?



4 comments:

  1. Wow, Cathy... you have been busy! Your tent set-up looks great. This is a great painting. My eye goes right to that beautiful orange bucket. I love how you've made the bright colors pop against the neutral grey background. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful painting, Cathy!!! love the vibrant colors...

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the little girl and your set up is similar to mine. I use dark table clothes though. I also have some tri-level plant stands that I drape with fabric and put paintings on them for height and different levels. Anything that brings height and different levels is good. I also made some free standing walls (OK my husband made them) that I can configure in several different ways. I'm going to set mine up soon to prepare for a show I have June 1, just so I know how I want to do it. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see a photo of your display if you have a chance to snap a shot. It really helps to see how other people figure this all out.

      thanks for your comment!

      Delete