Plein Air - Where Are The Swans?

6 x 8 oil on canvas panels

Where are the Swans? Well, they were moving too fast for this painter! They were there. Then they weren't. Then they were again! 

I entered the Schaumburg 2013 Plein Air Competition. The artists have 2 weeks to paint an area in the village of Schaumburg, IL, plein air. This was going to be the only week I could paint because I'll be babysitting my grandson next week. Yesterday was one of the few sunny, warm days we had this week, so I was out there. I wiped this twice before things started to work. If I don't come up with something better, I'll be entering this one. This was very very much out of my comfort zone. I better get out there more this year and get more comfortable!

8 comments:

  1. Good for you, Cathy, for entering the Plein Air competition! I like how you rendered the pond, and the stones around it. Great job! Your question about the swans made me laugh. I wish I could have been there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those birds do have a way of being uncooperative. Great that you entered the Plein Air painting competition. I look forward to what will be coming next. Love the softness of the grass meeting the man made edge of the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those birds have a way f being uncooperative. Good for you for entering the Plein Air competiton. I love the softness of the grass meeting the man made edges of the stone wall of the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow that really turned out great! I can totally imagine swans in there. Too bad they wouldn't sit still for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful, Cathy...with or without the swans!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a lovely job and I think you may be more prepared for the plein air event than you imagine! I can also see why you would like some swans in this painting. Just curious about your process...would you ever go back to find them so you can add them in. I'm not sure if I would, but wondered if that is an option for you. If you would rather answer me in email sometime than put this comment on your blog, I would understand that, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a lovely plein air piece to be proud of. And good for you for entering the competition!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you everyone, for your wonderful comments.

    Meredith, no I don't usually go back into paintings like that. I never even considered putting the swans in because I really need to keep it simple. But then one of the plein air group took a photo of me by my canvas and put it on Facebook. In the photo you could see the pond behind me and the swans were right in that spot at that time. They were kidding me about why the swans were not included. So that is where the name came from.

    ReplyDelete