Gulf Shores - SOLD

7.75 x 9.75 Oil on cradled board
SOLD

I am really happy with this painting. I feel with this one I'm actually going in the direction I want to be going. I'm starting to learn how best to apply oils to the surface in a way I enjoy.
I also painted this on a different surface. It is still hardwood, but it is a more sturdy cradled maple wood panel. I just apply a few coats of gesso. I love it! I'll be using these once in a while for paintings larger than 8x8.

Everyone knows I paint from photos. But I don't always use the photo exactly as I get it. I spend quite a lot of time in photoshop preparing the photo before I even start a sketch.

This is a perfect example to show that. Here is the photo reference I used. It has a lot of potential even before I start to edit it. But there are things that could be improved on. I think the background is too busy and uninteresting. So I edited out the background and added the ocean from another photo taken that day. I think it makes for more interest. Changing the color of the umbrella makes it pop against the sky and improves the composition.

Thanks for looking!

9 comments:

  1. This is lovely Cathy! I love the way you have edited the photo, so hard to do sometimes! I have trouble editing busy backgrounds! I use board that I gesso myself too,I like the smooth surface and I can get it cut to any size I want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the improvements on the painting from the photo. Learning to edit the composition is half the battle! Love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful, Cathy! Taking a photo and changing it is an art in itself! Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, so cool to see the changes you made. I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun catching up with your summery paintings. If you were in a slump you have certainly worked your way out of it. We artists are fickle creatures. Especially love the kite surfing paintings and the boy in the goggles. Great job on the water!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy...so interesting to read how you reorganized this to be the gorgeous painting that it is.
    Totally evokes being at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful painting and it always interesting to see the photo that inspired a painting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for showing letting us see the reference, Cathy. Very informative to see how you adjusted it for your painting. I think the change to the umbrella was just the thing to set off the scene so well, and the composition is great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these beach scenes and I especially appreciate your process info. I sort of do a similar process but I don't use photoshop. I just have the photos all taped on my easel or on my computer. I'm pretty sure your way is more efficient.

    ReplyDelete