Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Kite Surfing & More

6 x 6 oil on panel
SOLD

My paintings have been few and far between lately. I've been in a slump. It doesn't help that I haven't had time to even make myself get into the studio lately. But I finally managed to get in there for a few hours yesterday. I have been in the mood to paint something summery and wet. In order to get back into the swing of things I decided to just try to suggest the object and keep the paint loose. Even though there are still a few things that I would like to improve on, I do love the color in this one. 

In other news, I just got back from my one day show at the Mackinaw Valley Winery. It is beautiful there! I didn't want to leave. The grapes were on the vine and the crowds were good. I even did a little sampling toward the end of the day. :o)
The highlight of the day was when my blog friend Karla Uphoff stopped by to meet me. I could have talked to her ALL DAY! ha! Please be sure to check out her blog because she has some really wonderful paintings there and she is starting to take on students! Thank you for stopping by Karla and I hope you enjoy "King of the Coop"!


6 comments:

  1. Cathy, I think I'd be willing to go into a slump once in awhile if doing so allowed me to paint something this awesome! Just enough detail to suggest form with loose, expressive brushstrokes and fantastic use of color! Seriously, I am sorry about your slump, but I think it's fair to say from a fan's point of view that you certainly haven't lost anything! How wonderful to meet a blogging friend, too. I like Karla's work, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for such a nice comment, Meredith. One of these days it's going to be you and me finally meeting. Wouldn't that be fun?!

      Delete
  2. What slump? This painting looks great to me, Cathy... love the blue/greens! How fun to meet Karla in person. Nice photo of the two of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. Well, I'm glad it doesn't show to much. Maybe I'm just at a bit of a turning point.
      Meeting Karla was a lot of fun.

      Delete
  3. I can only wish to be in a slump like you, Cathy!! I think we all go through the moment but I really love this painting..
    awesome blues! Karla does wonderful work..I checked out her blog...it's wonderful meeting blog friends...When I met my blog friend, I felt like I knew her forever...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilda for your nice comment.

      Yes, that is exactly how I felt talking to Karla!

      Delete