Prepping

I haven't been painting. :(
I think this is the longest I've gone without painting this year and I'm a bit sad about it. But I have to be in the right frame of mind or else I'm frustrated. So I decided to spend this time prepping for my show that is coming up this next weekend. This is a small show and what I'm hoping to get out of it is to meet new people and fine tune my booth a bit more.

So one of the things I learned from my show in June was I needed more signage. Something that says "Oil Paintings", since that wasn't obvious to some people. I decided to try to make one. 
First I purchased a piece of pine from my local Home Depot. They were nice enough to cut it to size for me. Then I lightly sanded and painted it an Antique White. 

I typed what I wanted the sign to say in Photoshop using the fonts I wanted. In order to get the correct size, I made the image file the exact size of the wood I purchased and I centered the text on this file. Then I printed it off at 100% on multiple sheets of paper since it was larger than what my printer could handle, and I just taped the printouts together. 

To transfer the lettering to the wood I used a piece of graphite I had in my art supplies. You could probably use charcoal or chalk. You can just rub this on the back of your paper, or I used a separate piece. This works as carbon paper that you put between the printout and wood and then I traced my lettering. 

Now all I had to do was paint the letters.

Ta da! Just need to add screw eyes to hang it with! Later, I might make the first line larger. We'll see how it goes next weekend. I'm still working on hemming my table covers which you can see folded up at the bottom of the photo. 

Here are some of my small unframed panels ready to be packed up. 

Have a great weekend everyone!

12 comments:

  1. Your sign and Your paintings look amazing! Can't wait to see them in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karla,
      Thank you for your comment! I hope you get a chance to stop by the show. It sounds like it might be a fun time!

      Delete
  2. Look at all those gorgeous paintings, all in one place--how wonderful to see them like that!! I think you did a fabulous job on your sign, too. You were very neat with the painting of your letters. Mine would come out a little
    more....rustic. I wish you all the best for this show, Cathy! And I look forward to hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meredith!
      Thank you for your comment. It is fun to see all the paintings laid out together.
      I was trying for rustic but couldn't stop fussing! Oh well

      I'm really starting to get the itch to paint again. I'm hoping to have time Monday.

      Delete
  3. great post! I love your sign. And your paintings look amazing all together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice, Cathy! I'm really impressed. Good luck next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh... your sign looks amazing, Cathy! You are such an inspiration, I would have never thought of doing this. Best wishes for the next show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still probably spent more on this sign than I would have ordering from Vista Print. The wood cost more than I thought. But if I had went with scrap wood it would have been better.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  6. The sign looks awesome, Cathy! GOOD LUCK with the show ...the
    paintings look wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete