Thursday, January 16, 2014

Good Morning! - SOLD

6 x 6 oil on panel
SOLD

Can't you just hear this zebra screaming "Good Morning"? He is actually catching food being tossed his way from a car window. The photo source for this painting was taken by my niece in Texas. They go to the Natural Bridges Wildlife Ranch and the animals come right up to your car. 

This was again a quick one to complete. I think the less I fussed with it the better. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did painting it. 

I got back from Scottsdale on Sunday and I have rested for a few days. I guess I underestimated how much work it is to set up those booths at Celebration of Fine Art. I flew into Phoenix on Tuesday and hit the ground running. We worked all day each day painting, hauling, cleaning and tagging for the show. Nights were spent at some interesting restaurant enjoying fun food and drink. I was in bed by 8:30 each night exhausted! Friday night was the opening and the show will run through March.
We went from this (1st photo) to this (2nd photo). We repainted once since we didn't like the gold. Unfortunately, I didn't get a photo of the full finished booth because it was too wide. In this second shot we are still in the process of setting up the baskets but it's starting to come together. Carpet is laid and lighting is up. 

Even with all that work, I would do it again. Being around all those artists and their great work is inspiring. Coming back from this show was culture shock for me. Everything is about art when you are there. Your art, their art, everyone's art. Coming home is coming back to reality where art is important, but really just to me. And my reality is full of lots of things that end up being more important and time consuming than what I paint. I've had to take a few days to absorb this. They have asked me to join them at the show next year. Maybe getting my own booth. But I just don't see how I can make that work in my life right now. Now I'm ready to keep going painting as much as I can and trying to improve my skills. I'm so lucky to be able to be a part of the CFA group even for such a short time each year. I love them. They have changed my life. Next year I need to make sure I schedule time to visit a few galleries while I'm there!

10 comments:

  1. The zebra is so cute and such a terrific perspective. How exciting. It was so fun seeing your transformation of the booth. Becky Joy is also there and showed how her booth came together. I'm so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy! It's so good to have you home! I missed you!
    Your zebra is wonderful. I almost flinch, expecting to hear that braying bark! Great picture!
    Your Scottsdale trip sounded so fun and so invigorating! What an inspiring experience. And I bet a tremendous amount of work. I'm glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can almost hear him talking! Excellent portrait of this zebra, Cathy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must have been exhausted - that is a lot of work..but so rewarding. Love this zebra and can hear him saying 'good morning' - perfect mood!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How can you not love that little face? He's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. and I thought he was saying HEE HAW!!!

    nice painting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! He is hilarious!
    Good to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you everyone for all your comments! I had a lot of fun with this zebra. I was surprised how much I enjoyed painting those stripes!

    ReplyDelete